- About Us
- Community Calendar
- Eagle Awards Ceremony
- NOW! Annual Conference
- Education Materials
|NOW! Professional Development Track|
This track sponsored by:
Wednesday, 1:45PM – 3:00PM
Problem Solving & Negotiation Skills
Session will be a real world problem solving process. Participants will interact with presenters and each other to apply the process to a housing development on the brink of disaster. Step-by-step, participants will identify a path forward, its points of negotiation and the partners required for a win-win resolution.
· How to recognize financial and non-financial aspects of a problem.
· How to negotiate more effectively with other deal participants.
· How to create options and alternatives that lead to win-win solutions.
Speakers: Karen Garritson, Field Director, National Development Council; Erin O'Neill, Acquisitions and Closing Manager, National Development Council - Corporate Equity Fund
Wednesday, 3:30PM – 4:30PM
Next Generation of Community Developers
Workshop highlights leadership principles that facilitate team, organization, and individual efforts to achieve extraordinary outcomes as housing and community developers. Leadership styles are discussed and compared to management roles with examples from historical context.
· Definitions of leadership vs management.
· 12 acts of leadership.
· How politics can be a positive tool for change.
Speaker: Tony Hernandez, President/CEO Innovative Action Consulting
Thursday, 9:45AM – 11:30AM
Affordable Housing Jargon Jeopardy
In this game-style workshop, you’ll have fun going through affordable housing acronyms. The first half will cover beginner- and intermediate-level terms, with the second half covering more advanced content. Show off your industry knowledge and impress your friends!
· Go through design and construction terms.
· Go through finance terms.
· HUD & affordable housing terms.
Speaker: Michael Thomas, Colorado Market Manager, Gershman Mortgage
Thursday, 1:30PM – 2:45PM
Sharpen Your Leadership Skills with Five Powerful Tools
Whether you are leading a team or part of a team, leadership skills are essential for success. They allow work to happen in ways that motivate, enthuse, and build respect. Learn five powerful leadership tools that will foster engagement, collaboration, and ownership mentality that will improve productivity and working relationships.
· Provide feedback in a manner that diffuses conflict and encourages productive conversation.
· Discover how to take power of your actions through self-awareness and how to motivate others to do the same.
· Uncover how to build a collaborative work environment that encourages trust and respect.
Speakers: Adam Kantor, Associate Principal, KEPHART community: planning: architecture; Dennis Tallon, Senior Associate, Awareness to Action International
Thursday, 3:15PM – 4:30PM
Becoming President of Your Own Career
Mindset is powerful. Imagine the benefits of treating your career as a 1-person corporation, with you as president. Find out why this makes sense, and how to make that mental shift. Learn to apply “Noble Selfishness,” “do vs. DO,” and “Confident Humility.” Boost your success and satisfaction.
· Understand what all 1-person corporations must do.
· Discover why #1 helps you, your employer, and your clients.
· Know how to develop and use your core values.
Speaker: Gregg Piburn, President, Leader's Edge Consulting
Friday, 8:30AM – 9:30AM
Creativity & Innovation
Attendees will begin to think and behave with an innovative and entrepreneurial mindset. Learn how we all have the ability to develop our creativity, generate novel ideas, and develop new behavioral skills to set the stage for more innovative thinking.
· Gain a better understanding of the link between creativity and innovation.
· Learn to identify and develop innovative behaviors which can lead to more personal and organizational innovation.
· Identify some innovative ideas to pursue within your organization.
Speaker: Charlie Knight, General Counsel, CHFA